The JLI launched a Religions, Humanitarianism, and Development Research Reading Group in February 2020, welcoming all academics and researchers to speak on relevant topics. The group will meet virtually for one hour on a monthly basis to share their research.
- View the Special Book Launch of Islam and International Development – January 14, 2021
- Co-editors Ajaz Ahmed Khan and Affan Cheema introduce the book along with chapter author Dr. Silvia Brown.
- View the February 2021 academic reading group webinar
- Dr. Nora Khalaf-Elledge presents her paper, “It’s a tricky one” – development practitioners’ attitudes towards religion
- View the March 2021 Academic Reading Group Webinar
- Dr. Riham Khafagy presents her paper “Faith-based organizations: humanitarian mission or religious missionary”
- View the April 2021 Academic Reading Group Webinar
- Dr. Xavier Moyet presents his paper on “Pentocostalism, Public Health and COVID-19 in Nigeria”
- May 13, 2021 at 9 am Eastern Time
- June 10, 2021 at 9 am Eastern Time
- July 8, 2021 at 9 am Eastern Time
- View the first academic reading group webinar – February 13, 2020
- Dr. Olivia J. Wilkinson discusses her book: “Secular and Religious Dynamics in Humanitarian Response.”
- View the second academic reading group webinar – March 12, 2020
- Professor Emma Tomalin presents on her new publication, “Global aid and faith actors: the case for an actor-orientated approach to the ‘turn to religion’.”
- View the third academic reading group webinar – April 16, 2020
- Participants discuss Research in Religion and Development in light of COVID-19
- View the fourth academic reading group webinar – May 14, 2020
- Philipp Öhlmann presents on the first chapter of his book with Wilhelm Grab and Marie-Luise Frost, “African Initiated Christianity and Sustainable Development”.
- Fifth academic reading group webinar – June 11, 2020
- Andrea Steinke presents on her article, “Faith and Professionalism in Humanitarian Encounters in Post-Earthquake Haiti”
- View the sixth academic reading group webinar – July 9, 2020
- Fabian Winger presents on his article, “More than an intensive care phenomenon”: Religious communities and the WHO Guidelines for Ebola and Covid-19.
- View the seventh academic reading group webinar – September 10, 2020
Diana Rayes presents on her paper, “Faith-based coping among Arabic-speaking refugees seeking mental health services in Berlin, Germany.”
- View the eigth academic reading group webinar– October 29, 2020
- Prof. Cecelia Lynch presents on her new book, “Wrestling with God: Ethical Precarity in Christianity and International Relations.”
- View the ninth academic reading group webinar – November 12, 2020
- Ela Drazkiewicz presents a chapter from her book on “The Moral Economy of Foreign Aid: Religion and Institutions”
- View the tenth academic reading group webinar– December 10, 2020
- Dr. Aikande Kwayu presents her book, “Religion and British International Development Policy”