Sources of Revenue and International Expenditures of US Faith–Based NGOs, based on IRS 990 Forms for Fiscal Years 2011–2016
The CF&CG in collaboration with the Joint Learning Initiative on Faith and Local Communities worked to develop an evidence base for US-faith-based organizations’ financial contributions to the health and well-being of their communities.
US Faith-based NGO Financing for International Assistance
Faith-based NGOs are known to contribute substantial resources—financial, technical, human, and in-kind—to poverty alleviation, health care provision, and relief of suffering through international development activities and humanitarian assistance. It is critical to understand the necessary, complementary, and unique roles of public and private funding, the massive contribution of private resources secured through faith based entities, and the leveraging of public investment by private resources by those faith-based NGOs who receive public funding.
Though quantifying these resources and their sources remains challenging, one publicly available source of data on revenues and expenditures is the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) annual filings required of tax-exempt Non- Governmental Organizations (NGOs). This report is based on research that uses publicly available IRS 990 forms to quantify the private and public revenues and expenditures of US faith-based NGOs.
Summary data on US Faith-based NGOs for FY2011-FY2016 may be found below:
- One Page Summary US FBO Revenues for International Expenditures FY2011-16
- Organizations Receiving USG Revenue FY2011-16
- Total vs US Government Revenue FY2011-16
- Summary Report FY2016
- Top 20 US FBOs with Largest Total Revenues in FY2016 (Total Revenue vs USG Revenue, sorted by total revenue)
- Top 20 US FBOs with Largest USG Revenue in FY2016 (Total Revenue vs USG Revenue, sorted by USG revenue)
Previous Charts and data:
- Top 20 US FBOs with Largest total Revenues in FY2015 (Total Revenue vs USG Revenue, sorted by total revenue)
- Top 20 US FBOs with Largest USG Revenue in FY2015 (Total Revenue vs USG Revenue, sorted by USG revenue)
- Sources of Revenue and International Expenditures of US FBOs Based on IRS 990 Forms, for FY2015
- Summary Report FY2015
Click here for Financing of International Development by US Faith-based NGOs 2011-2015